October 28, 2004
Chandler 0.4 available
The high-level goal of the 0.4 release is to be "experimentally usable" for a few key end-user tasks. In 0.4, you can:
- Create, edit, and view PIM Items: Email, Calendar Events, Task, and Notes.
- Add or change the Task, Email, or Event properties of any PIM item, in a process we call "stamping".
- Share collections of items (including calendars) via a WebDAV server.
- Perform very basic email and calendar operations (e.g. sending and receiving email, or creating and modifying calendar events).
In addition, the 0.4 Release provides:
- Sending and receiving of mail over a TLS/SSL connection (a fully secure TLS transport is not implemented yet)
- A basic UI landscape: Sidebar, Tabs, Summary & Detail views
You can download the release for Linux, MacOS, and Windows here
More detailed information on this release see the 0.4 Readme document
There is also a Guided Tour (PDF 1.8MB) that walks you through some of the new features in 0.4 like stamping and sharing:
Posted by email@example.com at October 28, 2004 08:53 AM
Any plans to release a Windows 2000 version? Some of us don't have the finances to upgrade all the time. ;-)
Under Win2k Server and Pro, it batters the disks for about 5 mins, then pops up a RuntimeError, this-process-has-crashed box. :-( And was really looking forward to testing it...
Posted by: Martin Morrison at October 28, 2004 05:05 PM
We have a known bug on Windows 2000. It is unclear if we will support 2000 at all, so it would take a volunteer to maintain that port. We are developing and testing on Windows XP, Macintosh OS X (10.3 and newer), and Linux Fedora Core 2.
Posted by: Mitch Kapor at October 31, 2004 06:29 AM
I can confirm that it installs cleanly on win2K3 server. But it's REALLY REALLY slow just playing around with the UI elements (even without adding contacts or setting up appointments etc). Mr Kapor, I seem to vaguely remember someone saying that Python was not going to be what the final product would be released in, is this still true?
Posted by: Senkwe at October 31, 2004 08:33 AM
I downloaded Chandler 0.4 and tried to use it as a PIM.
I have no idea what tangible feedback could be given.
Posted by: DaniGro at November 2, 2004 02:17 AM
the download worked fine
Posted by: John at November 2, 2004 02:29 AM
I'm closing the comments here and asking that discussion about 0.4 be moved to the OSAF Design mailing list where it has already started.
Posted by: mitch kapor at November 2, 2004 07:58 AM